Issued by the City of Tshwane Emergency Services Department.
The City of Tshwane Emergency Services Department teamed up with Children of Fire, a non-profit organisation caring for young burns survivors, to conduct a fire, disaster and life safety awareness campaign at Jabulani Private Primary School situated in Ekandustria, Ekangala on 31 March 2021.
The awareness session is part of the pre-winter and winter awareness campaign the Emergency Services Department rolls out annually to educate the community on and raise awareness of fire prevention, survival skills, disaster risk management and life safety.
One of the children, who was assisted by Children of Fire to receive burns surgery that cost more than R1 million in Britain, is a learner at Jabulani Private Primary School. The organisation has seven burns-surviving children under its care, ranging from 2 to 17 years old, as well as Brenda who will turn 27 in April. According to Bronwen Jones, the founder of Children of Fire, “Brenda is one of the most severely burnt persons in the world”.
Jabulani Private Primary School has 19 teaching staff, 15 support staff and 402 learners in Grades RRR to 7. The staff and learners from Ekangala, Dark City, Rethabiseng and Zithobeni were excited to interact with the firefighters and other emergency services heroes under the observation of COVID-19 protocols.
Tebogo Maake, a functional head in the Emergency Services Department, taught the children to sing the matches safety song, to recite the “stop, drop and roll” fire drill and to repeat the 107 toll-free City of Tshwane emergency number a few times.
Our giraffe and rhino mascots taught the excited children how the giraffe and the rhino help other animals in the wild against lightning and fire hazards. Firefighters also demonstrated a fire attack with pressurised water from the fire truck.
Children of Fire taught life safety tips to the enthusiastic learners.
The reception from the staff and learners of the school was very warm.
With winter fast approaching, the Emergency Services Department is pleading with communities to be aware of the fire risks that may be posed by various heating sources. The unsafe and negligent use of paraffin, gas, coal, wood and electricity stoves and heaters, as well as various lighting utensils, is often the leading cause of fires. The devastating effects of fires on life, property and nature can be prevented if we all take fire and life safety seriously, and ensure that children are continuously educated.
Report a fire or life-threatening emergency on 107 or alternatively call 012 358 6300/6400.